Research, Publications and Other Works
of Joseph M. Turner and Michigan Property Consultants L.L.C.
NOTE: Michigan Property Consultants is pleased to have written text that is
included in the current edition of the State Tax Commission's Guide for Assessors
and to have been invited by a committee of the Michigan House of Representatives
to offer testimony on the administration of special assessments. Documentation is
provided in the listing which follows. A few articles
are included within that list to
illustrate a work product unrelated to property taxation.
- Students: click here for class text and Slides
- Click herefor examples of references by others to the work of Michigan Property Consultants or its employees
- 2017 "Crossing the Threshold: Identifying when Economic Forces Affect Property Values Market-wide," The Michigan Assessor (March 2017 pgs 17-33) reprints IAAO Fair and Equitable Article
- 2016 "Crossing the Threshold: Identifying when Economic Forces Affect Property Values Market-wide," IAAO Fair and Equitable Magazine
- 2015 Narrative on selecting appropriate "ranges of value" which was selected by the IAAO for publication in their magazine Fair and Equitable
- 2014 Written Testimony on the special assessment tax; solicited by and submitted to Michigan House of Representative
Local Government Committee March 19th
- 2013 State Tax Commission Guide for Assessors published with some contributive text written by Joseph M. Turner (state of Michigan 2010 Contract 271Q001)
- 2013 Presentation to the 79th International Conference of the IAAO: "The Values Generated By A Lake"
- 2013 Written Narative which accompanied slides used in a presentation to the 79th International Conference of the IAAO: The Values Generated By A Lake
2013 Some Rules For Administering a Special Assessment, The Michigan Assessor Magazine
2012 "Using Foreclosure deeds and transaction financing to identify market-wide impacts on real estate values" The Michigan Assessor Magazine
2011 Working Paper "Indicators of generalized value change in real estate markets" Note: The initial research report from which other published articles have arisen
2010 Pursuant to State of Michigan contract No. 271Q001Author two chapters for proposed State publication: Chapter 12(Exemptions, Authorities, Abatements and Special Assessments) and Chapter 17 (Boards of Review)
2010 "A look at the Values of a Lake, Part 2" The Michigan Riparian, Spring 2010, Pages 8 - 10 Note: "Featured article" of the Fiftieth Anniversary Issue of The Michigan Riparian
2009 "A look at the Values of a Lake, Part 1" The Michigan Riparian, Winter 2009, Pages 12 - 15 Note: "Featured article" of the Fiftieth Anniversary Issue of The Michigan Riparian
2008 "Who Was Molly Orshansky and How Did She Affect Assessing?" Michigan Assessor, July 2008, Pages 36 - 37
2008 Report to city of Saginaw Council on its property tax Board of Review and the tax base, City Clerk, May 2008
2006 "Michigan Property Tax Prorations" Michigan Assessor,
December 2006, Pages 10 - 12 Note: This article awarded 2007 Francis E. Moss Award for best contribution to field of assessing
2004 Filing with Federal Communications Commission
2004 "Distinguishing Between Special Assessments and an Ad Valorem Tax" Michigan Assessor, June 2004, Pages 35 - 38
2002 "A Place Signed With Honor" QST Magazine, December 2002, Pages 1 and 2
2001 "Developing Community:
Individual Opportunities," Vital Speeches of the Day, Vol. LXVIII, No.
3, November 15, 2001
in Public and Private Leadership - the difference in goals," Vital Speeches
of the Day, Vol. LXVII, No. 6, January 1, 2001
1999 City of Saginaw Brownfield Plan
1994 "Rekindling Future Economic Development", Michigan Municipal Review
Magazine, December issue, Page 375
1994 "Business Assistance Programs", City of Saginaw, Michigan, Directory of Assistance Programs, January 1994
1993 "WIN WIN WIN - New Ways Governments are Cutting Costs," Michigan Municipal Review, June 1993, Pages 172 - 175.
1992 Contributing author to "EC Training Manual" published by the American
Radio Relay League
1981-1987 Several articles on amateur radio public service in magazines
and newspapers with both national and international circulation.
1979 "My Taxes Are Too High!" - Michigan Assessor Magazine
1978 "A Guide to Michigan Tax Breaks" - Michigan Realtor Magazine